Friday, March 26, 2010

"The Fact is, One Grows Out of People, and the Only Thing is to Face It"

"It's no good trying to keep up old friendships. It's painful for both sides. The fact is, one grows out of people, and the only thing is to face it." ~W. Somerset Maugham

I seem to be missing my old friends lately. Ya know, the friends you have in high school who you swear and make pacts with that you'll always be best friends. It's weird that back then high school seemed like it was never gonna end and then you hit college and adulthood and high school just becomes...well...high school.

The best friends I had in high school, I don't even talk to anymore and when we do talk it's awkward. I didn't notice how distant we all had grown until I talked to Jasmine who was my high school best friend and I realized how much out of the loop I really was. It's really weird how just months ago we knew every little detail about each other's lives, now we barely know who is dating who.

It just made me realize how I'm barely friends with anyone I used to be friends with. Sure, we talk now and again but that's not the same as actual friendship.

When I was going through a rough break up, only a select few people were there (you know who you are). But where was everyone else? It's sad to me how you can be so close to someone and then it all changes. I try to keep in touch with everyone but after awhile they just seem too busy to care so you just stop trying.

As I grow older I've noticed that you no longer have that huge group of friends, you have those select few people who you KNOW are gonna be there and will take the time to check up on you no matter how busy they get or how far they are. Those are the true friends.

Losing touch with old friends is life I've learned. It just happens. I just have to be grateful for the true friends who do stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment