Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Happiness in Imperfection

"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to look beyond the imperfections." ~Unknown.

I really wish I knew who said this quote because it is one of my favorites for sure. It's so true. Life is not about perfection. It's about making the most out of the imperfections and finding what makes them work. Life is better imperfected I think. It makes it a more adventurous ride.

Today has been a great day and what have I done? Absolutely nothing. Routine trip to Wal-Mart with the sis and niece, work, time with the brother and niece, and then friend/Michael time. I've had a very balanced day really.

My question is that I'm pondering is why do we put so much emphasis on the stresses in our life? My weight, money, car stuff, blah, blah, blah, blah. In the end, it's all everyday technicalities that can be worked through. But what really makes life worth living day to day?

For me, it's this:

Waking up to my two year old niece banging on my door at 8 a.m. My sister and I cracking dumb jokes on the way to run errands still finding a way to laugh until our cheeks hurt even though running errands is no fun. My brother in law snoozing on the couch like a boulder totally impossible to even move. Getting an im from my friend Haleigh that turns into an "I miss you!" fest between her, Kenzie, and me and a possible get together being planned out. Talking about how bad our asses are on Facebook for all my friends to see with Cyndi and Clarissa. A totally sweet messege from my friend Jess. Skyping with Shannon and planning a trip to Georgia with Michael to see Ashley, who I've recently reconciled with and couldn't be happier about. Staying up late until Michael gets off work just to get a phone call in before he falls asleep even though I've been awake since eight thirty.

This is my day. And even though I can sit here and be crabby about waking up or not seeing my friends as much or whatever else, it doesn't even matter because all this made my entire day amazing. The great thing is, these were all tiny things that added up.

So why linger in minuscule, fixable, therefore pointless imperfections when I can take in all these little things and make them add up to one hell of a day that leaves nothing but happy feelings?

My point exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment