Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Goodbye One Tree Hill

Yes, if you are not a One Tree Hill fan, this is going to seem like the lamest post in the world, but who cares.
Tonight is the last episode EVER of my favorite tv show. Yes, it is just a show. But since I was 13 this show has had such a huge impact on me.
I grew up watching these characters and their struggles and triumphs. And as a writer, it's inspiring that these characters, who started out as words on a computer screen has touched so many lives.
It's crazy how a TV SHOW can have such an impact. I mean it's just a show but then again it's so much more. Just like a book is just a book or a movie is just a movie. A painting is just a painting and a song is just a song. Yet all of these things can touch anyone a certain way.
My teenage years kinda sucked especially with all that was going on with my dad, but an hour once a week, I had an ESCAPE. It was my home away from reality. I could tune out the drunken yelling and angry shouting and get lost in a world where these characters had their own problems with not so perfect parents and not so perfect lives. Yet it showed that, things get better. And they do. Life goes on, people make mistakes, yet it's never too late for second chances. It's never too late to go back and fix things.
I related so much to each character in different ways, especially Peyton. It's freeing to see pieces of yourself on a tv screen and seeing those characters navigate their way to happiness and dreams come true.
Am I being a bit melodramatic? Probably to someone who hasn't watched this show or thinks it's just a lame teen drama. But think of a book, a movie, a song, or anything that has touched your life. It's that same feeling.
I owe a lot to this show. I wouldn't say it made me who I am today like a lot of people are claiming but it helped me survive. It helped me see that there is always a bright light to every dark tunnel. That happiness is attainable when you let go of your fears and just go after what you want. It gave me a new perspective on life when my perspective was pretty dark. From 13 to 21 is a significant gap in my life and I'm glad I had a show like One Tree Hill to grow up with. It definitely is a defining part of my teenage years and the lessons I took from it will stick with me and those characters will always be in the back of my mind. Not because I'm a crazy fan girl, but because some guy sat down and used his words to create something that inspired a whole lot of people.
One day, if I can write something that can inspire people one ounce as much as One Tree Hill has inspired me, I'd call myself pretty successful.

#GoodbyeOneTreeHill

No comments:

Post a Comment