Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pour Your Heart Out Wednesday



There are a lot of things I want out of life. When I think of a happy life I see myself surrounded by good family and friends, a few dogs (all adopted from shelters), my writing degree hanging in an in-home office/library, photo albums full of travels throughout Europe and places in the US interspersed between adventures with those I love; a wonderful guy by my side, and a healthy me.
I've talked a lot about where I'm going after I graduate in a little over a year. The options are endless. Right now, the plan is to move to northern Indiana around the Muncie area. My grandma is getting ready to retire and with my aunt and uncle busy working, they need help with the kids. Plus, I think after 4 years of being away from my family and learning some pretty hard lessons, I need to be back in my comfort zone for a little while. As far as work or grad school, I'll be applying to Ball State to see if I get into their English program. Also, I'm going to take the Praxis exam to get certified to teach pre-school as a back up plan to writing. Slowly, but surely, I'm weaving out the details.
But outside of the school and career aspect of my budding life, there's something more. Something that I despite the importance of writing and working with kids, would leave my life lacking.
What I want most out of my life is to be a mom.
For years I watched my own mother struggle with my dad, always putting us kids first. That kind of love is unimaginable. Seeing a part of yourself grow and learn the ins and outs of life has to be the best thing a person can witness. And truthfully, I don't think my life would be complete without becoming a parent.
I'm in no rush. The point of being a good mom is also having the right timing and making sure my life is in the right place. But when that day comes, I will be overjoyed.
Kids are a beautiful thing and it's wonderful to see life and the little things adults take for granted through their eyes.
Sure, I could be a pre-school teacher, or a writer, or even a librarian, but the greatest job I could have is to be a mom.

1 comment:

  1. I love being a mom and it's one of my most proud accomplishments but i have to admit I envy you. I got pregnant so young and having to put my life on hold isn't what i had in mind. I wish I had my career first then children after.

    ReplyDelete