Friday, November 28, 2014

How Thanksgiving Was Different For Me As a Newlywed


This Thanksgiving was my first one as a wife. A wife. That's still weird, but exciting to say.

Our holiday followed the same routine as last year. We went to Sean's grandparents' house for a couple hours, then Sean had to work (which is no fun), and I relaxed at home with the pups. But this year just felt different.

This year, I wanted us to create our own traditions and lay down our own roots. I wanted something special, that we could continue for years to come.

Some traditions I've seen are cooking a favorite dish to bring to the family Thanksgiving, buying an ornament to represent something special that happened each year, watching a certain movie, or putting up the tree on a certain day.

This year, we decided since Sean worked this Thanksgiving and most holidays, we would celebrate our very own separate holiday on Saturday. We will cook a small Thanksgiving-like meal, put up our tree, and watch our favorite Christmas movies. This is something we could do the Saturday after Thanksgiving, every year.

Call me a nerd, but this is one of the most exciting things I've ever done. I love the idea of traditions and starting our own. It is definitely one of my favorite things about being married, and it's even more fun when the person you're married to is your best friend and shares the same value as you.

What traditions did you start as a newlywed or even more recently that you still do now?


No comments:

Post a Comment